Skip to main content

Lace Happens

I thought that I'd never really be that interested in lace knitting. . .I mean really. Small stitches. Fine Yarn. Slow progress. I'm interested in speed, cranking things out, seeing actual progress.

Imagine my surprise when I found that all I want to knit these days are lace projects and socks! I finished Clue 3 on Friday before we left for the UP. . .here's a pic And Joanie couldn't resist taking a picture of me knitting on vacation. Here I am on the boat cruise to see the Pictured Rocks in Munising. If you haven't been, you really must go, it's worth the trip. As soon as I finished these socks, Joanie had them on her feet.

My Gramma, who has Alzheimer's, kept complimenting me on the nice knitting I was doing and told me these socks should be for a girl. Imagine her surprise when I told her that it was HER that had taught me to knit when I was little. She was proud and bragged of it to a woman sitting near her.
Missed vacation photo opportunities include a trip to an Alpaca Farm (disappointing) and a chance to use a drum carder at a teeny little fiber shop. . .I got to card my own wool into a batt that I'll spin sometime this Summer or Fall.

According to the Elizabeth's Year KAL, I should have been knitting a Pi shawl this month. I really didn't want a circular shawl and thought I'd substitute the Pacific Northwest Shawl instead. After looking at the progress everyone has made on their Pis. . .I want one bad! I made myself promise I'd bind off the first shawl before casting on a new one. . .and promised I'd wait to begin Clue 4 on MS3 until I was halfway into the body of the Pi. . .oh the deals I make with myself!

As I write, the Pacific Northwest shawl is soaking in wool wash, and will be pinned to my futon this afternoon. In the meantime, here's a picture of it unblocked. (Do you like the glamorous on location shot? I thought you might be board of the ironing board and my wood floors!)



I've heard that Judith did some damage at the Heritage sale this weekend. . .can't wait to see her spoils!

An email confirmed that Sally's skirt washed beautifully and has already been worn--what and her birthday still a month away!

Kim is making good headway on her (much finer and lacier) MS3. . .and hoping to be "caught up" in 2 weeks when clue 5 hits the Internet. So stop calling and tempting her to go out and shop will you? She needs knitting time! She's fallen so hard for lace knitting that she's planning to purchase ALL of Melanie's patterns and knit ALL of the shawls and stoles! Not only that, but I've been told that countless hours have been spent looking at pictures of MS3 online. . .Kim, do we need to plan an intervention??

The BSKG board has been considering moving the day of our meeting from the 3rd Tuesday to the 4th. . .any issues with this? We'd also like to move our meetings to the Community Center. . .Kim and I are coordinating a visit later this month.

Having fallen victim to not only lace knitting, I've discovered podcasts this month. . .check out the Cast-on podcast if you haven't yet. . .I give it a thumbs up, and I think you'll like it too.

And lest you think I forgot, Joanie actually picked the winner of the caption contest. Since everyone who posted a caption in local, I'll bring your prize on Tuesday to the Coffee Beanery! See you there!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was looking at ms3 and it may be my imagination, but I see a bee, and honeycomb (always a hexagon), maybe flowing honey around the edge. The other Kim mentioned queens of egypt. Is this whole thing something to do with a queen? Maybe a queen bee? Kim T.

Popular posts from this blog

We've Moved!

Our new location for guild meetings is Central Oaks Community Church in Royal Oak. Our blog is moving too! This site will remain as an archive of past events. For current information and happenings with the guild, visit our new Facebook Community Page :  BSKG Meetings & Events . See you there! Our other Facebook presence, the Group :  Black Sheep Knitting Guild , is still there for all members to post and share about knitting.

March Guild Meeting with Melynda Bernardi

Our guest speaker,  Melynda Bernardi of French Press  Knits, was wonderful! She shared about her background as a knitter, how the name French Press Knits was chosen,  how she started by selling felted slippers and progressed in to writing patterns. Her work is beautiful and she brought several samples to share. Melynda graciously offered a discount on her online patterns for the month of March for our guild members!

BSKG 1st Guest Post

Posted by Kim Whelan  "copyright Geneve Hoffman Photography" I have this friend; maybe you have one like her? She’s the kind of friend that has all these crazy, great ideas, and somehow, before you know it, you’re smack dab in the middle of something! This friend is the reason that I found myself starting a knitting guild (BSKG) with her a few years ago and found myself president of said guild a few years later. She is also the reason that I started designing patterns. I was just drifting along, calmly knitting away when she said “write a pattern, challenge yourself” That is how I came to write my very first pattern “Etta” which appeared in Lace One Skein Wonders . Now writing a pattern didn’t come easy, there were many mistakes along the way, but I stuck with it and finally I had a pattern I was proud to publish on Ravelry. After that first pattern I wrote a few more that I was lucky enough to have printed in some local publications. But that friend of mine,